CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 26, 2010

Anyone still want any Gumbo?

After my mussel adventure last weekend, this started a spark to see if my parents would want to try my fabulous mussels, so I started slow...with it being summertime, and so many amazing things in season, I decided to make a fresh pot of homemade gumbo. Of course this was still coming from my inspiration from the week before, but I had never tried making my own gumbo, and wanted to give it a shot. Again, I looked through my Whole Foods App, and found two recipes that I decided to tweek a little bit. I did not want to make "roux" or use file powder like most traditional gumbos, so this is why it's my own :)


(with a little inspiration from whole foods of course)

Chicken Gumbo with Fresh Okra and Corn
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
Sea salt
Ground pepper
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped with leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 pound fresh cut okra
4 ears fresh corn kernels, shucked and cut off
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons bay seasoning
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
Sea salt, to taste
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
12 raw peeled large shrimp, fresh or frozen (optional)
1/2 lb mussels (optional)
Cooked long-grain white or brown rice
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Brown chicken on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add garlic and sauté briefly, until lightly golden. Add pepper, celery and onion to pot and cook, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add flour and stir into vegetables until well coated. Add tomatoes, okra, corn, stock, bay seasoning, thyme, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir well, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the shrimp and mussels and cover. Cook, stirring gently occasionally, until mussels open and shrimp is pink, about 8 minutes. Serve immediately over rice.


Parents liked the mussels, and it was fabulous with the gumbo....I think with a little more tweeking, I have a good start on a great gumbo recipe...can't wait to make more! Oh wait, I still have some...anyone want leftovers??

0 comments: